Sunday, November 27, 2011

My first dog pt. 2 (free topic)




This ‘’getting a new dog’’ thing was getting more complicated. Convincing my mother to let me have a dog wasn’t easy, now I had to incite her to take me all the way to Hatillo to get it. I had no idea how was I going to do this but I had 3-4 weeks to think about it and to convince her. Just in case she said no I kept looking for more dogs closer to the area we live but couldn’t find anything. All I found was even farer than Hatillo. I gave up, I couldn’t find any other better way to convince her so I just went to my mom room and without her even looking at me I just let it out: ‘’the dog is in Hatillo, when can we go get it’’.  I felt my stomach drop; her eyes were immediately on me as if what I just said insulted her. Then she just said ‘’what?’’. Great, now I had to say it again. I repeated what I just said and then she said ‘’why Hatillo? Could it be a closer area? I can’t go this week’’. I could believe it she said yes! I was so relieved I explained how we had to wait till the dog was ready to leave his mom and we planned a date to go get it after that time. The day came and I was so anxious to get there. On the way to the owner’s house we got lost a few times, this made the excursion even longer than what we expected. But finally when we got there, the owner was very nice we talked for a while and then he took us to the puppies. I had to choose between all of the puppies and I couldn’t decide but my brother helped and we finally got her. When I got home I put her on a box and was supposed to enter my house without anyone noticing what I just brought but just with the look on our faces everyone else guessed and immediately started arguing. I flippantly ignored them; they were starting to sound irritable, I was just happy I finally had my dog, my dog with no name.
I thought that after getting the dog everything was going to be easy, I was wrong. It took me 3 weeks to find a name and I decided to call her summer. Summer was like having the ‘’Marley and me’’ dog. She destroyed everything, pooped and peed everywhere. Even though I tried to train her she never learned. She then had worms we had to treat that. Few months later, still convalescent after the worms, she got ticks which I think was the most horrible experience I’ve had, ever. The experience of having a dog of my own was not like I thought it was, it was a struggle, like I’ve never had before and to add the stress of school. It got to a point that I was regretting that I got this dog. After 11 stressful months everything was worth it. She learned how to go ‘’pipi’’ and ‘’caca’’ outside and when I said so. She behaved and didn’t eat everything she found. Although she still breaks the sox’s and napkins or papers on the floor but nothing else. Summer is currently two and a half years old and I can now say that even though 2009 was probably the worst year ever because of Summer I don’t regret anything and I love my dog, I can’t imagine my life without her.

No comments:

Post a Comment