Monday, October 3, 2011

Dialogue with a Dead Person

I loved my great grandfather with all my heart. When I lost him it was the worst experience I’ve been trough. If I could talk to a dead person it would definitely be him. Since I was so young I never had the chance to tell him how much I loved him and how grateful I am for all the things he’s done for me and  for all the memories I have with him, which are the happiest moments in my life.

 



Kelvin: abuelo I’m so happy to see you!
 
Abuelo: "avemaria purisima" you are so grown up! I barely even recognize you!... Well I’ve been dead for like what? 5 years?
 
Kelvin: almost 6.
 
Abuelo: oh, long time! You look so much like your mother, and niño what happened? Too poor to go to the barber?
Kelvin: abuelo. I haven’t been to the barber since November of the year before you died.
 
Abuelo: hay santo! Well don’t you think is time to go to one?
 
Kelvin: no I like it this way, I look better!
 
Abuelo: Muchachito de dios!
 
Kelvin: oh abuelo, the other day I was in the mood for some of the odd mixtures of foods that you would always make like that plate of fried eggs with fries and ketchup. I remember it was so good!
 
Abuelo: ho yes!  That you and your brother would always eat half of my plate! But I was prepared. What you little suckers didn’t know is that all the time I would only put less than half of what I made in the plate so that when you where gone I could eat the rest.
Kelvin: I couldn’t help it your food was inevitable! You know lately I’ve been thinking a lot about my childhood.
Abuelo: what about it?
Kelvin: well I miss it, I think about all those great times I had. Like, I just remembered that Christmas all of you covered me and Kevin’s eyes and took us to the back of the house and I was so excited to see.  When you finally uncovered my eyes there was a double swing just for us that where you sit was like a mini-plane. That swing was phenomenal!  Well at least that’s what I thought at that moment.
Abuelo: oh I remember that, I was up all night with your uncle building that. I’m glad you like it. Though the look on your faces was priceless when we uncovered your eyes.
Kelvin: my childhood was the best thanks to you! You would always bring home broken stuff that you would find on the street and improvise with it. You would never discard anything; sometimes you would fix it or just take pieces out of it to make something else for us. Also you would always sneak candy when my mom wouldn’t let u, you would always let me help you when you were working, which meant to be fixing something. You were, I mean, you are to me, the best grandfather someone could ever had, you’re not comparable to anyone!
Abuelo: oh you’re lying. I’m not that good
Kelvin: what? You are the best!  You would always furnish us for a great time. And your house had the coolest things someone could ever found.
Abuelo:  it was kind of a mess..
Kelvin: well yea, not the typical house but I loved it!
Abuelo: thank you. Kelvin I’m sorry but it’s time for me to go. I wish I could stay longer.
Kelvin: Is ok but before you go I just wanted to let you know how grateful I am of having you in my life. I never had the chance to tell you this since when you were in the hospital I wasn’t allowed to enter because I was too young and I was told you would recover but that never happened. That was the hardest thing I’ve ever been trough, I felt destroyed. But today thanks to you and that experience I learned to appreciate and love as much I can every person in my life. Because I never know when I might to lose them.  You remind me of this quote I once heard: ‘"We were meant to lose people we love. How else would we know how important they were?" because I can honestly say that this is what happened to me. I don’t think I have enough words to express how grateful I am for having you in my life. I miss you so much! But I know one day we’ll me again. I love you abuelo!
Abuelo: I love you too.
the swing.

No comments:

Post a Comment